Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How to get kids to read

I already posted today, but, I logged on to CNN, and bam! the lead story is about getting kids to read! So I had to post it here and make some comments!

Here's the link to the article: How to get your kid to be a fanatic reader.

First, kids get into reading when they see other people reading!

Second, kids need to be impressed upon about how important reading is. Not boring textbooks, but fun books.

Third, boys especially need access to graphic novels, comics, etc, to engage them in reading. Once they read these and find out reading is fun, you can move on to bigger and better things.


I really enjoyed reading this article because most of it resembles what I have said when I talk about Library Build: in order to enjoy reading, kids need to read; kids need easy access to books that they will enjoy; and kids need librarians, teachers, others, to show them how great reading can be.

Go read something!

No comments:

Post a Comment