Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Slow Crawl of Spring

Well I last posted a week ago, so I feel obliged to say "hi" today. Other than that, not much to update.

- I have been doing more research on possible grants. It's super exciting.

- I discovered that I can't buy books online with Library Build's debit card, because Library Build does not have an "address", we have a PO box... Not sure how to work this mess out. (This is part of a much longer story in which it is actually illegal to run a nonprofit out of a private home - unless that home has an established home office - so people like me get PO boxes, but then you can't get anything sent to your nonprofit. And, sadly, my 4 square feet of "home office" doesn't count.) - Yes, equally as exciting (and infuriating) as the grants.

- I started getting some applications for the Library Fellows position, so that is actually exciting (not joking about this one).

-  I have discovered a loop hole in which new / start up nonprofits do not get free stuff from corporations, but medium/ 5 year old nonprofits do get free stuff (LIKE WEBSITES). Yes, its exciting too.

- News about me personally: I now am connected to the larger world when I am not at home, because I now have an IPad! I do not have a laptop, blackberry, etc, and I have never had a phone that has internet (yes, its a log, and even complete strangers laugh at me when I am out in public because my phone looks like its from 2007 - because it is...). So, now I am instantly available, and I finally join this century!

All in all, a recession is a good time to start a nonprofit, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment