Saturday, December 10, 2011

Books and their Impact

When I tell people about Library Build and our mission, I often get push back from those who believe in the almighty power of new technology.

While I agree that technology  can provide our students, (not to mention adults) with access to ready information, and I similarly understand the appeal of the E-reader and the ability to take multiple books at a time with you at all times, there is still a need for books.


Thats right. Just a book.

No buttons or lights, no batteries.

I was at Rowen yesterday for some meetings, and just in general, to work with the teachers there. This week at Rowen was their Scholastic Book Fair. The kids were pumped. They had an assembly about the power of reading. While a man on the stage shouted, "we read books" the kids excitedly answered, "WE READ BOOKS!!". It was fun to watch. (Now, yes, they were excited because they were having an assembly on a Friday afternoon and were thus, out of class. I know, I was a teacher! But, the message of the assembly, and their excitement was a powerful one). 

Meanwhile, during the assembly, parents were pouring in to the school asking if the book fair was still open so that they could buy some books for their kids.

Books have power. They transport kids one story at a time to other places. Books, unlike movies, give kids the power to imagine their own stories and visuals, to be creative.

Here's my story about books (and obviously there weren't E-readers back then.... )

When I was in the first grade, I hated reading. I got a C in phonics (yes, phonics), and I thought it was the most unnecessary subject ever. For the record, I also hated math and could not figure out how 5:05 and 5:50 on a clock differed - really, I was kind of dull.

For the next few years I fought reading. But when I entered the fourth grade, something happened. My teacher announced a reading competition. The winner each week was the one who had read the most pages (as signed off by the parents). I didn't like reading very much - but I was not going to let Brittany win. No. Way.

So I started reading. And what really got me going was that same fourth grade teacher taking the time every day after lunch to read to our class from "Where the Red Fern Grows". I got so angry that she would only read a few pages a day that I went to the library and checked it out so that I could just finish it already.

The rest of the year, Brittany and I traded back and forth on who won. We both tried out a variety of strategies. She believed that reading multiple books at a time worked best, while I believed that just focusing all of my attention on one at a time was the best.

By the end of the year, I liked reading. No, I loved reading. I didn't stop. And I haven't stopped since then.

This is what kids today need. They need a teacher to interest them in a book. They need a school library where they can easily go find the book that might change their life.

Which is why I believe in the power of school libraries.



No comments:

Post a Comment