Tuesday, August 30, 2011

So whats going on now?

That's the question I keep getting about Library Build. So here we go:

- I am madly working on grant applications. This is what I focus on almost exclusively right now. No comment on my level of enjoyment of this task.

- I have been emailing with my teacher contact at Rowen School. School is starting next week so they are a little crazy, but once things settle down, I will be going to the school more often to work in the library. Which means, I will be measuring the floors, looking through what has been stored there to either get rid of it or move it to somewhere else in the school, etc.

- I am planning a MLK Day of Service in January at the library. Of course, this requires a lot of agreements, etc, but I'm really hopeful that we can get volunteers to the library to paint, go through books, etc.

- Whole Foods Callowhill is planning a book drive with Library Build to begin in a few weeks, so I am putting together some marketing things, doing a few write-ups, etc.

- I have plans in the works to visit Lowes, Home Depot, and local hardware stores to beg for discounts or free supplies to renovate the library with. I was going to apply for an actual grant from Home Depot, however, they require anyone who applies for a grant to have been 501(c)3 for two years or more. Two years!

- Yesterday I met with AmeriCorps VISTA, and am in works to apply for Library Build to receive a VISTA member next year (to focus on development of Library Fellows). This makes it absolutely imperative that I get somewhere with my grant applications because we so very desperately need office space.

- There are some other minor items that I am working on, but I think this fairly sums up what I am focused on for the next few weeks or so.

Any questions, thoughts, ideas, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment